Your will power is what stops you from giving in to various different forms of temptation. Each of us has a little weakness for something in particular and trying to control yourself against that thing can seem pretty tough. It could be food, alcohol, smoking, stunts, shopping or a whole lot more. Boosting your will power is the best way to avoid those situations and stop yourself from giving it.
The Cheapest Life Insurance takes a look at some ways in which you can boost your willpower. We use losing weight as our example.
- Understand what you want to achieve and make it realistic to what you can actually achieve. Choosing a goal that’s larger than you can cope with will make it harder for your willpower. If you want to lose a lot of weight, why not break into down into stone? For example focus on losing 2 stones rather than 5. 5 stone may be achievable but it will take a long time so be realistic and then re-access.
- Break your ultimate goal up into small, more manageable chunks. If you can progress through a series of mini goals it’ll keep your mind focused. Break your 2 stone weight loss up into half stones or 2lbs a week. Whatever is better for your situation and mind-set.
- Set reasonable deadlines. Don’t make yourself struggle with an unrealistic deadline. Losing your 2 stone may take 6 months; it would be unfair to pressure yourself into trying to do it in 6 weeks.
- Follow your goals. Don’t let them just sit there-work towards them-if you don’t you’re more likely to give into temptation when it comes your way and potentially fall into the thought that, ‘it doesn’t matter’ or ‘I haven’t achieved anything anyway’.
- If you’re having problems sticking to your goal think about why you might be low on willpower. Once you’ve figured it out it should be easier to get back on track. Are you afraid of failing? Is insecurity holding you back? Remember that challenging yourself can be really hard and you are never alone in your thinking.
- Don’t let fear hold you back. You’re stronger than fear itself.
- Reward yourself-this doesn’t mean just giving into your temptation. Think of other ways to reward yourself. Doing so can be a good boost to carrying on.
- Expect bumps along the way. Life wouldn’t be the same without some ups and downs. Prepare yourself as much as you can. If you’re losing weight the likelihood is you’ll meet temptation along the way, often in social situations. If you’re eating out why not look at the menu before you go, or drink water beforehand so you are fuller and less likely to overeat?
- Stay focused-increasing your willpower is a battle with yourself. Remember what you want to achieve and how you are going to do it.
- Use your support network. If you feel happy to discuss your goal with the people around you it’ll be a great stress reliever and they may be helpful in avoiding situations whereby you might struggle with your willpower.
Boosting your willpower is not only helpful in achieving your goals it’s also good for bringing up your confidence and keeping you motivated. The key to success is believing you can do it, following these steps may just help you get there.
If you would like a life insurance quote from us call 0800 6800 205.