It’s a new year and it could certainly be a new you. If you are overweight or ate a few too many mince pies this Christmas it’s time to look ahead into the safe ways in which you can gain control over your diet and therefore become a healthier you. Losing weight and keeping it off can be a real battle but figuring out a plan that is realistic should mean you can achieve your goals. Loosing a large amount of weight in a short period of time may be noticeable but it’ll be much harder to keep it off in the long run. Losing weight can be a long journey so it’s important to start off on the right track.
We live in a time where the pace of life is fast and our focus on socializing can mean we drink and eat much more than we exercise. The reality of this is weight gain which can also relate to various illnesses.
Losing weight means changing old habits and accommodating new ones into our everyday lives. It can seem like a real brain ache but in reality the recipe to losing weight is a simple one: eat less, eat healthy and get more active.
Like the old saying goes, don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today. The best time to start losing weight is today.
Here at the Cheapest Life Insurance we’ve found some good starting points:
- Find your healthy weight- Finding out where you should be in terms of your weight and BMI will be a good way to focus your mind and keep your weight loss within what is health for you as an individual.
- If you are someone who is a ‘scale watcher’ there are some things you can do to avoid becoming ruled by the pounds and not enough by the health benefits. You could weight yourself at specific dates, only weigh yourself with a friend, don’t weight yourself at all-you will see the weight lose anyway or use your clothes as a guide rather than scales.
- Choose your snacks and swaps- Change your mid-morning or afternoon snack to a piece of fruit, unsalted nuts or fruit loaf with low-fat spread instead of chocolate and biscuits. High sugar snacks don’t fill you up; they simply leave you wanting more.
- Don’t forget your drinks! Drinks contain calories as well and it’s easy to forget about these as we don’t view them in the same way we view food. Alcohol is full of calories so cutting down will be beneficial to a healthier life style. Also beware of milkshakes and fizzy drinks.
- Plan- Putting a plan in place during your period of weight loss will help you to prepare healthy food, manage your calorie intake and avoid consuming unhealthy convenient foods such as chocolate and crisps.
- Get walking- Fit an extra walk into your day. You should ideally walk 10,000 steps a day which isn’t as many as you are probably thinking. How about taking a walk on your lunch break, getting off the bus before your normal stop or parking your car and walking some of the way?
- Start your day with breakfast! It’s simple…set yourself up for the day by avoiding sugary cereals or fatty spreads.
- Don’t forget that a small treat every so often is okay. If you do indulge don’t beat yourself up about it-just get back to your plan.
The hardest thing about losing weight is the battle you have with yourself. You know what you need to do but you feel you can’t fight the temptation. Remember that you are control of your health and your weight. Don’t waste time wanting to change when actually the reality is far easier than the picture we fear in our minds. This is a battle worth fighting and it’s also a battle you can win.
For more weight loss tips see: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/Pages/Livewellhub.aspx